Knights of the Lunch Table Forums
March 28, 2024, 03:44:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ok you lovable friends, Chao and Solmu are currently working on adding an add-on to the forum, our imageboard, KotLTchan.

We'll be able to link you and stuff when we get it all set up.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

MAC VS WINDOWS

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: MAC VS WINDOWS  (Read 1482 times)
Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 37

The Head of the GunZ Clan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 06:43:46 pm »

I HAVE A SHITTY WINDOWS NOW!!! I bought for 10 bucks at a garage sale, and I need windows 98 or linux. <cough> <cough> jac <cough>
I'm working on it.

I'm not sure if it'll run FlyFF though. I'll try it on your computer next time I come over, and I'll also put WINE on there.
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 1000

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 11:11:42 pm »

Well actually my brother has windows 2000 at his apartment and i might have a version of xp... but i found out the problem with it, it has no starter thing, the hard drive is missing it... I forgot what it's really called.
Report Spam   Logged
Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 08:40:09 am »

Well actually my brother has windows 2000 at his apartment and i might have a version of xp... but i found out the problem with it, it has no starter thing, the hard drive is missing it... I forgot what it's really called.
You just don't have an OS on your computer. >.>

I'll give you Ubuntu today, probably. If that can't run Flyff, well, at least it will let your computer work, lol.

There are a lot of fun Linux tools that you can download. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:25:16 pm »

It sucked so much I returned it.
Report Spam   Logged
ArkofCovenant
Keeper of the Sacred Words
Squire

Internets: -27

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 08:45:21 am »

Vista sucks. mac sucks.
xp is decent.

I have heard that Vista dislikes gaming in general with its firewalls and such
the only thing a mac is better than a PC at is video editing and creative art crap.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 10:44:36 am »

Vista sucks. mac sucks.
xp is decent.

I have heard that Vista dislikes gaming in general with its firewalls and such
the only thing a mac is better than a PC at is video editing and creative art crap.
Why do you insist on making things up?

One: Vista does NOT suck, you are merly following a corporate bandwagon stuck by ignorant software reviews that think they are important. Vista IS Windows XP, with all the crap that Mac users complained that it didn't have.

Two: Mac does NOT suck. It is a very powerful machine and it is much, MUCH better than nothing at all. Windows is only better because it is more customizable, more open ended, it costs less, and it can do more.

Three: Vista can play every game that XP can, you just have to make it work.

Four: Windows and Mac have virtually no difference in graphic art. Mac has made crossovers for pretty much every big-name (Adobe) graphic art program. I don't know where you heard this, but it is completely false. Windows even has more smaller programs for content specific things, like 3d art and pixel animation. Video editing programs exist in both.
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 01:41:57 pm »

DAM STRAIGHT, But I still think Mac is better.
Report Spam   Logged
Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

Internets: 2

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 11:19:59 pm »

mac == windows
linux > all
Report Spam   Logged

ArkofCovenant
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 10:35:27 am »

One: Vista does NOT suck, you are merly following a corporate bandwagon stuck by ignorant software reviews that think they are important. Vista IS Windows XP, with all the crap that Mac users complained that it didn't have.
Actually, I heard it from 2 "hacker" friends that I have. They know quite a bit abou tcomputers and they know people who know even more about computers. They both said Vista sucks and Im gonna beleive them before you because they have proven themselves in computer knowledge.

Two: Mac does NOT suck. It is a very powerful machine and it is much, MUCH better than nothing at all. Windows is only better because it is more customizable, more open ended, it costs less, and it can do more.
Yes, if I were a hobo on the street a 2 week old egg-salad sandwich would be better than nothing at all. however it would be much better to have a large steaming juicy pot-roast or even better a warm plate of buffalo wings.

"Windows is only better because it is more customizable, more open ended, it costs less, and it can do more."- Yes, windows is superior in almost all aspects.

I am too lazy to make it work

Four: Windows and Mac have virtually no difference in graphic art. Mac has made crossovers for pretty much every big-name (Adobe) graphic art program. I don't know where you heard this, but it is completely false. Windows even has more smaller programs for content specific things, like 3d art and pixel animation. Video editing programs exist in both.

yes as I said mac is better for 1) Graphic art crap that no one cares about and 2) Video editing.

Windows movie maker sucks and I havnt yet found a program that is better than it that doest cost like $232,000. I have experience video editing on a mac in Intro to braodcast journalism class and it ran smoothly and flawlessly with many usefull features.

of course it was a $2,000 mac and a 800$ program but hey, I didnt have to buy it so its cool Cheesy

oh and that 3d art pixel crap- no one cares
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 04:52:01 pm »

Actually, I heard it from 2 "hacker" friends that I have. They know quite a bit abou tcomputers and they know people who know even more about computers. They both said Vista sucks and Im gonna beleive them before you because they have proven themselves in computer knowledge.

Yes, if I were a hobo on the street a 2 week old egg-salad sandwich would be better than nothing at all. however it would be much better to have a large steaming juicy pot-roast or even better a warm plate of buffalo wings.

"Windows is only better because it is more customizable, more open ended, it costs less, and it can do more."- Yes, windows is superior in almost all aspects.

I am too lazy to make it work

yes as I said mac is better for 1) Graphic art crap that no one cares about and 2) Video editing.

Windows movie maker sucks and I havnt yet found a program that is better than it that doest cost like $232,000. I have experience video editing on a mac in Intro to braodcast journalism class and it ran smoothly and flawlessly with many usefull features.

of course it was a $2,000 mac and a 800$ program but hey, I didnt have to buy it so its cool Cheesy

oh and that 3d art pixel crap- no one cares

Ok, the main reason people buy computers is to advance the market of graphic art or programming. Just because something doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not important.

You continue to contradict yourself. Why do I care taht you have experience on iMovie? You are claiming that WMM is a better program. I don't see how this is relevant. Also, most Macs come with iMovie.

We are not talking about dinner, we are talking about computers. I think that a Mac can type a paper faster than a pot-roast.

About you being to lazy? So what. You're not everyone.

Also, have you ever played a video game? Yeah, the graphics were done in a pixel art program or a 3D art program. If they didn't exist, neither would your games. Care now?

EDIT: Also, I can only hope to consider myself on the same technical level as your so called friends.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 04:53:06 pm by Hermit Solmu » Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 05:58:01 pm »

You are claiming that WMM is a better program.
He actually said iMovie was better, but still, the post was full of contradictions, haha.

I have experience video editing on a mac in Intro to braodcast journalism class and it ran smoothly and flawlessly with many usefull features.
Report Spam   Logged

ArkofCovenant
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 12:40:28 pm »

Ok, the main reason people buy computers is to advance the market of graphic art or programming. Just because something doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not important.

You continue to contradict yourself. Why do I care taht you have experience on iMovie? You are claiming that WMM is a better program. I don't see how this is relevant. Also, most Macs come with iMovie.

We are not talking about dinner, we are talking about computers. I think that a Mac can type a paper faster than a pot-roast.

About you being to lazy? So what. You're not everyone.

Also, have you ever played a video game? Yeah, the graphics were done in a pixel art program or a 3D art program. If they didn't exist, neither would your games. Care now?

EDIT: Also, I can only hope to consider myself on the same technical level as your so called friends.

"Ok, the main reason people buy computers is to advance the market of graphic art or programming. Just because something doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it's not important."

ok wtf? the main reason people buy computer is so they can utilize tools like email and word processing.
i realize that both windows and mac are about equal in those aspects so we need to find other areas to argue over.

"You continue to contradict yourself. Why do I care taht you have experience on iMovie? You are claiming that WMM is a better program. I don't see how this is relevant. Also, most Macs come with iMovie."

OK 1) I never said WMM is better, in fact if i havnt said this before I'll say it now: WMM sucks...... alot. 2) Who said anything about IMovie? I was talking about video editing in general and as far as  I know I have never used IMovie. The program I used was a professional program and was also very expensive so you could say that my good experience on a mac was only possible because I used an expensive program.

"We are not talking about dinner, we are talking about computers. I think that a Mac can type a paper faster than a pot-roast."

I was making an analogy, I thought that was obvious. you said a mac was better than nothing and I said that a week old sandwich is better than nothing while a pot roast (IE Windows) is better than the sandwich.

"Also, have you ever played a video game? Yeah, the graphics were done in a pixel art program or a 3D art program. If they didn't exist, neither would your games. Care now?"

yes okay I realize that if mac didnt exist it would make video game production slightly more difficult. If I was a game designer I might cinsider getting a mac TO GO WITH MY PC. and it just so happens that 99.999% of the population does not design games so 99.999% of the population would not benefit from having a mac.

"EDIT: Also, I can only hope to consider myself on the same technical level as your so called friends."
I wouldnt count on it. They are quite knowledgeable. And one of them has quite a number of "connections". He runs a mod for some star wars RTS. Yes, he is the HEAD of the mod. his xfire is eawfan1 if you want to talk to him. so anyway he has basically an army of hackers at his command.

I think he knows what he is talking about

"About you being to lazy? So what. You're not everyone."

most people have lazy tendencies. its human nature to not want to do work. whether you overcome this determines whether you actually are lazy or not
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 01:25:21 pm »

I am not even going to quote you.

ONE: Running a private server for a game is not hard at all. There are things you can download to edit the source code. I have a friend who explained the entire process to me while he made one for Lineage II, a game that is a lot more complex that an RTS.

TWO: Your analogy made no sense because in a lot of aspects Mac is better than Windows. Processing power, design, ease-of-use, familiarity, and their way of making the complex things easy, to name a few. Also, I would rather have an egg sandwich than a pot roast.

THREE: You MADE UP that percentage. Here is a number that I DID NOT make up: 407,000,000. That is more than four million sites pinged on Google after I searched 'computer art'. A logical estimate shows that about half of these are forums devoted to the subject and production of, and the other half are galleries/ other things related. An average amount of people on a forum is about one hundred, though I have seen forums with as little as five and as many as ten thousand. You do the math: That's a lot of people who partake in graphic art. The cutting edge technology of graphic art is 3d game design. It is a popular thing, meaning a good number of those people who design games.

Also, if that 99.99% WAS true, which it's not, that is of everyone. Not of people interested in computer purchase.
Report Spam   Logged

ArkofCovenant
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »

I am not even going to quote you.

ONE: Running a private server for a game is not hard at all. There are things you can download to edit the source code. I have a friend who explained the entire process to me while he made one for Lineage II, a game that is a lot more complex that an RTS.

TWO: Your analogy made no sense because in a lot of aspects Mac is better than Windows. Processing power, design, ease-of-use, familiarity, and their way of making the complex things easy, to name a few. Also, I would rather have an egg sandwich than a pot roast.

THREE: You MADE UP that percentage. Here is a number that I DID NOT make up: 407,000,000. That is more than four million sites pinged on Google after I searched 'computer art'. A logical estimate shows that about half of these are forums devoted to the subject and production of, and the other half are galleries/ other things related. An average amount of people on a forum is about one hundred, though I have seen forums with as little as five and as many as ten thousand. You do the math: That's a lot of people who partake in graphic art. The cutting edge technology of graphic art is 3d game design. It is a popular thing, meaning a good number of those people who design games.

Also, if that 99.99% WAS true, which it's not, that is of everyone. Not of people interested in computer purchase.

because I dislike order, I will start with 2. then I will do 1, then 3.

2) My analogy was in response to your saying a mac was better than nothing. ("Two: Mac does NOT suck. It is a very powerful machine and it is much, MUCH better than nothing at all.") I was trying to explain that just because something is better than nothing at all doesnt mean its the best. also I would like to emphasize that my original words were WEEK-OLD egg salad sandwich. and if you were a hungry hobo a normal sized pot roast would provide much more nourishment than a normal sized sandwich, so it doesnt matter what YOU would personally prefer.
My analogy was not in any way supposed to reflect the strengths and/or weaknesses of either system

1) private server? what? when did I say anything about a private server. (and running a private server is normally expensive if not hard.) he has a MOD. Him and his programmers and modelers and scripters and such ripped apart the source code and rewrote it from scratch from what I understand of the process. plus, his mod is one of the most successful and most downloaded mods of all time. I beleive he told me that if he had decided to charge for the game he would have made a large sum of money by this point. (I forget the exact number but it was calculated taking into account that there would have been less downloads)

3) you searched wrong. you should have searched for "computer art" (with the quotation marks). this finds you only pages with the words "computer" and "art" one after the other. if I search "Zach Lavone" (my real name (without the quotation marks)) I get 15,000 results. I am not on 15000 web pages (yet  Roll Eyes ). if I search with quotations I get 7 results. that is much more accurate.

(other searches: Zachary Lavone: 14,000 "Zachary LaVone": 42 results)

"computer art" (with quotations) gets 1,500,000 results, not 400,000,000.

"Also, if that 99.99% WAS true, which it's not, that is of everyone. Not of people interested in computer purchase. " the last sentence is the only thing in your post that makes sense if we were talking worldwide, 99.99% would be an understatement, but when I made the comment I was thinking of the US, not the world. there are 300,000,000 people in the US.  now I dont know the number of game designers in the US, but it is probably not far off from 30,000, which is .0001% of 300,000,000.

where your statement rings true is that not all of the people in the US are looking to buy a computer.

anyway, it is a simple fact that there are more people who have windows than who have a mac. dont try to deny it, its true. so if we are going to look at sales as evidence of which is better, mac loses. simply put; more people who are looking to buy a computer buy windows and not mac.

and even if mac was equal in all physical aspects. (ease of use, processing power, price, etc etc.) it is also a fact that there are more programs and applications that are windows exclusive so you would logically buy windows simply for this reason (assuming they were equal in every other field)

an example would be, if all of your friends ran windows and they all had a program called yfire ( Roll Eyes )
yfire might not be mac compatible and even if you found a mac version of yfire (zfire maybe? Roll Eyes ) you still couldnt talk to your friends.
just because you can find a program that does the same thing for mac doesnt mean that you can ignore the fact that macs are not very compatible with windows.

if you worked on a presentation or report at home (on your mac) and you wanted to bring it to school or work, you would have to be sure it would be compatible with the computers at school or work. I cant tell u how many times I have seen someone work on some presentation at home on a mac and it didnt work when they came to school. in fact, more often than not there IS an issue with compatibility.

i couldnt contact my uber crazy awesome head-of-mod friend yet, but when i do I will tell u what he has to say on this subject
Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 03:40:47 pm »

plus, his mod is one of the most successful and most downloaded mods of all time. I beleive he told me that if he had decided to charge for the game he would have made a large sum of money by this point. (I forget the exact number but it was calculated taking into account that there would have been less downloads)

He may be knowledgeable, yet apparently still a dumba$s.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum