Knights of the Lunch Table Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:03:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ok you lovable friends, Chao and Solmu are currently working on adding an add-on to the forum, our imageboard, KotLTchan.

We'll be able to link you and stuff when we get it all set up.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Thesis Statements and School Uniforms

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thesis Statements and School Uniforms  (Read 869 times)
Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Internets: -69

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007, 01:06:42 pm »

The school system has a way of sucking all of the individuality and creativity out of everything. Just about every student hates thesis statements because the curriculum teaches us the monotonous, carpal-tunnel causing, robotically repetitive and uncreative format. “I think this because that, that, and that.” Bleagh! This format makes it impossible to add any real human touch to the paper being written. No matter what your future or current occupation, you should never use the thesis statement format taught in middle and high school. It shows a lack of true writing skill and creativity. It shows that you don’t really care about what you are writing about. It takes all the spontaneity out of the paper. That’s like giving away the ending of a book at the beginning! For a lot of people, the thesis could be enough. Readers will see the thesis of a persuasive essay, which, if written as expected to, will include the opinion and reasons why, and say, “Okay, I see their point” and then the rest of the author’s hard work goes to waste. A paper with a “proper”, generic thesis lacks voice, individuality, and passion, without which, the paper will persuade no one.
And what’s the deal with dress codes? I can see why some things would be distracting, like tube tops, thongs, tank tops, mesh shirts, and low cut shirts. But girls’ short shorts and guys’ or girls’ armpits are not distracting. At the same time, dress codes do nothing to stop some of the most distracting clothes people could wear. There’s no stopping guys from wearing short shorts, and there are few things at school more distracting than that. Dress codes care so much about guys having their pants too low, but not girls. It’s incredibly distracting when you’re trying to learn and some girl’s asscrack is staring you in the face. As much of a liberal I am about the freedom to express oneself, these two examples cross the line. On the flipside, many dress codes cross the line, too. Two words: school uniforms. Teenhood is the time when people learn, nay, discover who they are and who they want to be, and school uniforms completely destroy all hope of doing so.  Suppression of teens’ inner instinct to stick it to The Man through clothing may cause some teens to lash out physically, i.e. that one horrible high school shooting. It didn’t have school uniforms, but obviously the student felt he was not being heard and did something extreme.
Report Spam   Logged

Yeah, das right. Da Laffinator.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

MChammerpenguin
Raising an army of penguins and Angry Winking Kitties...it's the work of a higher power
Global Moderator
Peasant

Internets: 2

>;3 Angry Winking Kitty...yah

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 11:01:02 pm »

Well...about thesis statements...
Welcome to Global Issues.............I didn't learn ne thing but These statements in that class....
Also Pray u don't have VanDeSample and if u do...kill urself....well that or kill her
Dress codes...no comment...
I dun ever really wear Spagette Straps Or Skirts...
Well maybe a kilt if i wuz payed
Report Spam   Logged

MChammerpenguin- Elemental warrior
ShinigamiFS- Saviour of all
>;3- Angry winking kitty, what i want to be when i grow up!
Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 05:39:43 pm »

Also Pray u don't have VanDeSample and if u do...kill urself....well that or kill her
I don't have VanDeSample but I've heard nothing but bad about her.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 37

The Head of the GunZ Clan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 05:51:59 pm »

The school system has a way of sucking all of the individuality and creativity out of everything. Just about every student hates thesis statements because the curriculum teaches us the monotonous, carpal-tunnel causing, robotically repetitive and uncreative format. “I think this because that, that, and that.” Bleagh! This format makes it impossible to add any real human touch to the paper being written. No matter what your future or current occupation, you should never use the thesis statement format taught in middle and high school. It shows a lack of true writing skill and creativity. It shows that you don’t really care about what you are writing about. It takes all the spontaneity out of the paper. That’s like giving away the ending of a book at the beginning! For a lot of people, the thesis could be enough. Readers will see the thesis of a persuasive essay, which, if written as expected to, will include the opinion and reasons why, and say, “Okay, I see their point” and then the rest of the author’s hard work goes to waste. A paper with a “proper”, generic thesis lacks voice, individuality, and passion, without which, the paper will persuade no one.

Maybe I'm just tired, but you're an idiot.

I mean seriously. A paper isn't about saving the plot line for the end. It doesn't HAVE a plot line, that's why it's called an essay. It's a nonfiction piece that is meant to display a message and support it with three or more back up statements, and connect them all together.

Trust me. You are not an English genius professor guy, and I'm sure whoever made up the thesis statement was.
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 10:17:52 pm »

I mean seriously. A paper isn't about saving the plot line for the end. It doesn't HAVE a plot line, that's why it's called an essay. It's a nonfiction piece that is meant to display a message and support it with three or more back up statements, and connect them all together.

Trust me. You are not an English genius professor guy, and I'm sure whoever made up the thesis statement was.
I'm not saying all thesis statements are bad. I'm just saying that that format is ridiculously bland.
Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 12:03:34 pm »

A thesis statement is to inform the reader, very blandly and easily, what the rest of your essay is about. If you want to write creatively and throw twists and wierd paragraph formats, write a **** book. A thesis is for school and research so that teachers can have an easy time grading your responses.
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:56:20 pm »

Yes, a thesis statement is to inform the reader what your paper is about, but it doesn't have to be bland. In my opinion, if a thesis statement is hard to pluck out from the rest of the writing but the reader still somehow gets the point anyway, that is a good thesis statement.  Grin
If your later ideas aren't clear enough that you have to blatently list them at the very beginning, you obviously didn't write your paper very well. You make a valid point that it may help the teacher grade them, but again, if you can't write a clear enough thesis statement without having practically a word-for-word structure already set out for you, you're not a very good writer. All I'm saying is that a lack of the "I think this because this, this, and this" structure promotes creativity and individuality. Grin
Also, a correction on my part; a paper with a bland thesis statement can have voice, but then the thesis statement will be painfully out of place and the introduction will have poor flow. Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:00:06 pm »

Just because I'm "not an English genius professor guy" doesn't mean I know nothing about writing. And not all thesis statements are bad, just the ones that lack creativity and individuality.
Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 05:08:19 pm »

Hey, notice how both Solmu and I had thesis statements in our responses...yea talk about blatently saying what we meant. Its a good thing you caught onto that.
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 10:05:16 pm »

Hey, notice how both Solmu and I had thesis statements in our responses...yea talk about blatently saying what we meant. Its a good thing you caught onto that.
Yeah, it's funny because the fact that I didn't notice basically proves my point. I got the picture without you having to use the boring thesis statement structure and you got your point across with sounding like a robot. Thank you, Zro, for proving my point.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 37

The Head of the GunZ Clan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 12:20:51 pm »

Thesis statements easily let people convey messages in the front end of a paper, let readers recognize main points, and help organize an essay. They are a vital part of every writers arsenal.

My teacher makes us write thesis statements and I hate it. They are bad. They take the originality out of all paper. I mean really, if everyone uses the same format, how is that creative? It makes things boring and bland.

Which one is better?
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 02:12:19 pm »

Thesis statements easily let people convey messages in the front end of a paper, let readers recognize main points, and help organize an essay. They are a vital part of every writers arsenal.

My teacher makes us write thesis statements and I hate it. They are bad. They take the originality out of all paper. I mean really, if everyone uses the same format, how is that creative? It makes things boring and bland.

Which one is better?
That's good debating right there, using a crappy example of a paper lacking a "proper" thesis statement, but unfortunately the two examples are uncomparable because the second one doesn't even have a thesis statement. How about this:

~or~
The school system has a way of sucking all of the individuality and creativity out of everything. Just about every student hates thesis statements because the curriculum teaches us the monotonous, carpal-tunnel causing, robotically repetitive and uncreative format. “I think this because that, that, and that.”

Which one grabs your attention?
Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:01 am »

First one.
Report Spam   Logged

Proudane122
Da Laffinator
Scholar

Da Laffinator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

You're just saying that because you know that that one is the one with the "proper" thesis statement. Anyone reading the first one would say, "It's just like every other paper I've ever read. Nothing special. Whatever."
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum