Knights of the Lunch Table Forums
March 28, 2024, 04:16:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Everyone, get Xfire and PM Blaze or Solmu to get into the "Xfire Clan" so we can chat on there and play games!
www.xfire.com Keep in mind you have to download it.

Of course, only Windows users need to worry about viruses when they download this, because Mac's can't download it at all.

Home Help Search Arcade Gallery Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Camera Angles is Over the Shoulder

Poll
Question: Which one? (Please read before voting)
Mock 1 (Over the Shoulder) - 5 (71.4%)
Mock 2 (Side Scroller) - 1 (14.3%)
Mock 3 (Top Down) - 1 (14.3%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Camera Angles is Over the Shoulder  (Read 842 times)
Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 37

The Head of the GunZ Clan

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:38 am »

It's over the shoulder. Go away.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 04:20:03 pm by Hermit Solmu » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

BlazingWyvern
Original Knight of the Lunch Table
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 1337

Blade Mage of Fyrani

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 09:34:56 am »

I like the Over the Shoulder view the best for a few reasons. Although camera angles might be a problem, it opens up a few more possibilities. Platforming is a bit better if you're moving in a 3-Dimensional world, not a 2-Dimensional World. Plus, you can introduce air-combat for more of an action-rpg game, just to give combat more possibilities for it's low amount of controls. To get around the whole camera issue, players could probably get Universal Controllers and use that as an easier way to press buttons while being able to control the camera.

As a suggestion, (although this would be difficult to animate) people can pick out their fighting style. For example, at level 1 they will be given a basic combo starter. At level 4 or so, another combo is opened up that may be added to that player's combat style. Also, completing certain quests and such could give you abilities that you could add to combos. Hotkeys could also help out this situation. Just hit 3 for a defensive style, or 2 for a full-frontal attack.

I enjoy being able to move around freely in a full, 3-Dimensional world, and Over the Shoulder is the best for getting the full experience.
Report Spam   Logged

Level_9_Chao
I like nine.
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 9

Co-creator of the KotLT.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:37:34 pm »

I picked side scroller cuz I thought it was gonna be kinda like smash. And also 2D. Is it still? Like Smash but with HP so we don't get sued.

Also we need Tomas Kalnoky as a character.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 12:40:06 pm »

I like the Over the Shoulder view the best for a few reasons. Although camera angles might be a problem, it opens up a few more possibilities. Platforming is a bit better if you're moving in a 3-Dimensional world, not a 2-Dimensional World. Plus, you can introduce air-combat for more of an action-rpg game, just to give combat more possibilities for it's low amount of controls. To get around the whole camera issue, players could probably get Universal Controllers and use that as an easier way to press buttons while being able to control the camera.

As a suggestion, (although this would be difficult to animate) people can pick out their fighting style. For example, at level 1 they will be given a basic combo starter. At level 4 or so, another combo is opened up that may be added to that player's combat style. Also, completing certain quests and such could give you abilities that you could add to combos. Hotkeys could also help out this situation. Just hit 3 for a defensive style, or 2 for a full-frontal attack.

I enjoy being able to move around freely in a full, 3-Dimensional world, and Over the Shoulder is the best for getting the full experience.

Yeah, that's why I haven't gotten rid of it.

I plan to do the combat so that the numpad gives you access to everything. So, weapon changing, attacking, that sort of thing. It would be like this. The top row (7, 8, and 9) would be the high attacks. Like a downwards vertical or a high kick. 8 would be straight down, and 7 and 9 would be left and right, respectively. So you would have 3 high attacks there. The same concept would be applied to the middle and lower rows. I'm working on a system where I can make every attack can flow into the next, making for 9 button endless combos. Woot. Blocking would follow the same system, except while blocking you hold the 0 button on the bottom of the numpad, then press the direction that you wanna block. I have fleshed this out a bit, but that's for a different discussion.

However, this system only accounts for melee combat, not firing a bow or shooting a gun. Over the shoulder, the only way for a gun to make sense would be to use the mouse to aim. I dunno if it really makes sense to have to switch between the numpad and the mouse. Topdown, you can merely rotate your character in the general direction of the thing you want to die, and a lock on system can take it from there.

Ideas?

EDIT: Nah, I'm kinda moving away from the Smash idea. Side scroller doesn't really allow any of the deep combos to happen. I'm hoping this will be kinda like Zombie Revenge, or Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.
Report Spam   Logged

BlazingWyvern
Administrator
Squire

Blade Mage of Fyrani

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:52:07 pm »

For ranged attacks you should have a lock-on system. The numpad can be used for minor aiming, like leading, or aiming for the head, or trying to disable a leg.
Also, if we're going to have leveling up and stats, a higher accuracy/ agility can account for how easy it is for you to shoot someone.

If you'd like for me to explain my numpad idea, just let me know, unless you already understand it.
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 05:36:25 pm »

For ranged attacks you should have a lock-on system. The numpad can be used for minor aiming, like leading, or aiming for the head, or trying to disable a leg.
Also, if we're going to have leveling up and stats, a higher accuracy/ agility can account for how easy it is for you to shoot someone.

If you'd like for me to explain my numpad idea, just let me know, unless you already understand it.
Nah, I get it.

The only reason I don't like over the shoulder is that, if the numpad is used, you can't use the mouse to get a 360 view. Maybe I can do over the shoulder, yet a little bit raised, so you can see a bit behind the character.
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Internets: 1000

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 08:49:38 pm »

Quick question, will it work for mac if not I'm trying to buy a computer, with decent stuff on it. And how far our you on the game? I didn't read most of the posts but is it a RPG? Or any other info you want to tell me about, go ahead I am curious.
Report Spam   Logged
Level_9_Chao
I like nine.
Administrator
Squire

Co-creator of the KotLT.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 09:12:51 pm »

Quick question, will it work for mac if not I'm trying to buy a computer, with decent stuff on it. And how far our you on the game? I didn't read most of the posts but is it a RPG? Or any other info you want to tell me about, go ahead I am curious.

Usually when somebody puts it on both Mac and Windows, they need to do extra code mess arounding and stuff. Not even great overlord TomoHASHone can comprehend the power of apples.

OR CAN HE
Report Spam   Logged

Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:46:44 am »

Usually when somebody puts it on both Mac and Windows, they need to do extra code mess arounding and stuff. Not even great overlord TomoHASHone can comprehend the power of apples.

OR CAN HE
Most likely not. Cheesy

Also, I have like 5 models done, and I'm working on the movement/control system. It is an action RPG.
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:04:17 pm »

So that's a negative for macs?
Report Spam   Logged
BlazingWyvern
Administrator
Squire

Blade Mage of Fyrani

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 02:13:15 pm »

Not even great overlord TomoHASHone can comprehend the power of apples.
It's easy to comprehend since it's so terrible...

Whenever you say you have 5 models done, do you mean characters? or what?
Also, if you plan on going to that camp next year, they have a 3-D Game Design course that looks pretty cool. Someone made a game where you had to "Make your way into 5atan's stronghold".
Report Spam   Logged

Zro
Knee-Key-Tah
Global Moderator
Squire

Internets: 2

"Art is resistance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 03:20:24 pm »

"Make your way into 5atan's stronghold".
Doom..?
Report Spam   Logged

Petroid
I'm hurgery...
Administrator
Squire

Shoot Shoot Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:50:54 pm »

Apple's don't suck, you know you don't have to choose one or the other. Apples are good and so are windows. But just for your entrainment here's a funny thing...

Steve: Hey Bill.
Bill: Hey Steve, still use a mac?
Steve: Yeah, I guess your still a windows guy.
Bill: Yeah, hey what's that?
Steve: That's my ihouse.
Bill: But there's no windows.
Steve: Exactly ****!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Hermit Solmu
Administrator
Squire

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 08:51:56 am »

Apple's don't suck, you know you don't have to choose one or the other. Apples are good and so are windows. But just for your entrainment here's a funny thing...

Steve: Hey Bill.
Bill: Hey Steve, still use a mac?
Steve: Yeah, I guess your still a windows guy.
Bill: Yeah, hey what's that?
Steve: That's my ihouse.
Bill: But there's no windows.
Steve: Exactly ****!!!!!
Apples are good. Windows are better and they cost less. I don't see the hard part.

Also, a model is a 3d figure. Pretty much, I have the base character pretty much done, some obstacles like buildings, a tank, and a tree.

Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Level_9_Chao
I like nine.
Administrator
Squire

Co-creator of the KotLT.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:20 am »

Apples are good. Windows are better and they cost less. I don't see the hard part.

Also, a model is a 3d figure. Pretty much, I have the base character pretty much done, some obstacles like buildings, a tank, and a tree.

Cheesy

Am I a chao?

If not, fail.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum